Housing and Built Environment
To support future growth whilst retaining the distinctive character of the town and maintaining its rural settings and views.
Arising from our consultation documents, we have identified the following objectives:
1. To allocate a site for future development in Shepton Mallet to meet the identified needs of the community including the provision of affordable homes
2. To ensure new development is sustainable and helps to protect the distinctiveness, character and historic assets of Shepton Mallet, which also does not harm the conservation area
3. To ensure new houses are of high-quality design, in keeping with the established character of the area and built to BREEAM home standards
4. The mix of housing in any new development should be designed to meet the needs of the existing and future community and be built to Lifetime Homes Standards
5. To provide affordable market homes and smaller houses / flats suited to those wishing to downsize, to secure their first home, or to live in the parish due to local connections.
6. To concentrate development within, or immediately adjacent to, existing settlement boundaries.
7. To maintain the conservation area
8. To utilise suitable brownfield sites within the settlement boundary for re-development.
9. To provide appropriate levels of parking within new developments to ensure on road parking is minimised
10. Ensure any infill development in Cowl Street and Hillmead area is of high quality and sympathetic to its surroundings.